08 February 2010



So, I'm trying my best not to be judgmental. I recognize that people choose different paths and have different aspirations. I also realize that we all define "success" differently. BUT...I've been noticing that a lot of women I know define their success by the accomplishments of their spouse, and I just don't get it. I know, when we get married, it's supposed to be a partnership; "I" becomes "we," etc. Nonetheless, I still don't understand how marrying a doctor or marrying a professional athlete gives you a pass to devote your life to being their cheerleader on the sidelines? What about your own identity? Your own goals? Your own aspirations? What happens to all of that? I don't get it! Rich, fame, glamor, or any other kind of "fabulousness" could never deter me from pursuing my own interests and aspirations. Giving up my identity and my own dreams for financial and material stability just seems like failure to me no matter how you put it.

Am I totally off? Am I missing something here?

No comments: